Thursday, April 26, 2007

Oversight lacking in Kansas for virtual schools

Legislative audit finds reports missing and required on-site visits aren’t made by state.

The Kansas City Star
April 25, 2007

I have no direct experience with any of the virtual schools in Kansas, but this article highlights, for me, the need to maintain separate identities for virtual school attendees and home schoolers. I find it unfortunate that many virtual schools seem to market themselves as "homeschool alternatives" rather than the public school alternatives that they truly are.

I am entirely supportive of more options and choice within the public school system, but I also want it to remain clear that those of us who are homeschooling are accepting/taking full responsibility for our children's education while those enrolled in virtual school programs are accountable to the public school system. I am making no judgements here, just clarifying that virtual schools and homeschools are not one and the same.

No comments: